Objectives of the Assignment:
The Regional Forest Inventory (IFRS) and the Map of the Forests (CFRS) are the main components of the Forest Information System of the Sicilian region.
IFRS provides a rich set of statistics and information sheets for a regional area of 2.5 million hectares.
The project gave Sicily a very innovative working tool for the preservation and the sustainable development of natural assets, in order to provide a complete and detailed cognitive framework to set up incisive sustainable Forest Management and Land Use policies, addressing Climate Change, and monitoring their effects. IFRS provides a rich set of statistics and information sheets for a regional area of 2.5 million hectares.
- 102,000 plots for photo interpretation belonging to a square grid of 500 meters on each side;
- 5400 relief on the ground for plots with acquisition of qualitative data;
- 1500 plots the acquisition of quantitative data (number of plants, diameter, height, classification of wood, regeneration, damage, etc..);
- estimation of the dendrometric volume and the above-ground carbon sinks.
Project results have been achieved through remote sensing techniques with extensive testing and careful groundwork, covering an area of 1 million of hectares.
- Regional Forest Inventory,
- Geographic Information System,
- Digital Land-Use Cartography
- Quantification of the above-ground forest carbon sinks and their carbon sequestration capacity
- D.R.E.AM. (leader)
- RDM Progetti