Objectives of the Assignment:
The project aims at restoring the habitats of the Posidonia meadows present in some Italian protected areas, through actions to reduce their degradation. Posidonia meadows in fact play a crucial role in removing carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere and therefore represent a valid strategy to combat climate change. In the last decades, since the 50s, the Posidonia oceanica meadows have undergone a considerable regression, in some cases equal to 90% of its original extension. The SeaForest LIFE wants to increase the capacity of the carbon reservoirs of Posidonia meadows by reducing erosion and subsequently consolidating habitats.
Website of the project:
- D.R.E.Am. Italia (member of P.A.N.G.E.A. SOC. COOP. CONS.)
- ISPRA (Istituto Superiore per la Protezione e la Ricerca Ambientale)
- CNR (Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche)
- CARBONSINK group s.r.l.
- Università degli Studi della Tuscia
- Parco Nazionale Arcipelago di La Maddalena
- Parco Nazionale dell’Asinara
- Parco Nazionale del Cilento, Vallo di Diano e Alburni
- Water Right Foundation
- Paragon Europe